UPSC after 12th
Yes, it is possible to prepare for the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) exam after completing 12th grade. The UPSC conducts the Civil Services Exam (CSE) to select candidates for various civil service positions, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS), and Indian Foreign Service (IFS), among others.
To be eligible to appear for the UPSC CSE, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Therefore, 12th grade students who are interested in pursuing a career in the civil services can start preparing for the UPSC CSE while they are completing their degree.
Here are some steps that 12th grade students can follow to start preparing for the UPSC CSE:
- Familiarize yourself with the UPSC CSE exam pattern and syllabus: The UPSC CSE consists of two stages: the Preliminary Exam and the Main Exam. The Preliminary Exam is a screening test to shortlist candidates for the Main Exam. It consists of two papers: Paper I (General Studies) and Paper II (CSAT – Civil Services Aptitude Test). The Main Exam consists of nine papers, including papers on General Studies, Essay, and Optional Subject. Familiarizing yourself with the exam pattern and syllabus will help you understand the scope of the exam and identify the areas that you need to focus on.
- Start reading newspapers and books: To prepare for the UPSC CSE, it is important to have a good understanding of current affairs and general knowledge. Reading newspapers and books will help you stay updated on national and international issues and also improve your reading, comprehension, and analytical skills.
- Join a coaching institute or online course: Joining a coaching institute or an online course can be helpful as they provide structured study materials, mock tests, and guidance from experienced faculty. These institutes also conduct mock interviews, which can be very useful in preparing for the Personality Test (interview) conducted as part of the Main Exam. One such institute is the Eden IAS, situated in ORN, New Delhi, offering the best foundation course for UPSC exam.
- Practice writing essays and answers: The Main Exam includes a paper on essay writing and several papers on General Studies, where you will need to write detailed answers. Therefore, it is important to practice writing essays and answers to improve your writing skills.
- Focus on your optional subject: In the Main Exam, you can choose an optional subject from a list of approved subjects. It is important to choose an optional subject that you are interested in and have a good understanding of. This will help you score well in the optional subject papers.
- Stay motivated and focused: Preparing for the UPSC CSE is a long and challenging process. It is important to stay motivated and focused to achieve your goal. Make a study schedule and stick to it. Take breaks when needed and engage in activities that you enjoy maintaining a work-life balance.
While it is possible to prepare for the UPSC CSE after 12th grade, it is recommended to start preparing as early as possible to give yourself sufficient time to cover the vast syllabus and improve your chances of success.
Read more about What strategies are required to clear UPSC CSE?