Syllabus Section: Current Events related to International Affairs
Why in news?
PM Modi inaugurated the 16th PravasiBharatiya Divas Convention organized in a virtual format on January 9, 2021. It is a flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs which also provides a significant platform to engage and connect with overseas citizens.
• PBD convention is the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and provides an important platform to engage and connect with overseas Indians.
• India has one of the largest diaspora populations of nearly 30 million, residing in every corner of the world today.
• President Ram Nath Kovind will also be delivering the valedictory address to mark the occasion. As per the release, in view of the sentiments of India’s vibrant diaspora community, the 16th PravasiBharatiya Divas Convention is organized on January 9, despite the ongoing pandemic.
• The theme of the event is ‘Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat’. The event will also feature the keynote address by the Chief Guest President of Suriname, ChandrikapersadSantokhi.
• The day marks Mahatma Gandhi’s return from South Africa on 9th January 1915.
• Pravasi conventions have been held since 2003. Since 2015, the format has been changed and now it is held once every two years.
• The inaugural session was followed by the two plenary sessions:
• The first plenary on the Role of Diaspora in Aatmanirbhar Bharat was addressed by External Affairs Minister and Commerce and Industry Minister.
• The second plenary on Facing Post Covid Challenges-Scenario in Health, Economy, Social and International Relations was addressed by the Minister of Health and Minister of State for External Affairs.
• The names of the PravasiBharatiya Samman Awardees for 2020-21 were also announced.
• These awards are conferred to select Indian diaspora members to recognize their achievements and honour their contributions to various fields, both in India and abroad.
• These are the highest honour conferred on a Non-resident Indian (NRI), Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), or an organisation or institution established or run by NRIs or PIOs.
Source- The Hindu