Syllabus section: science and tech
Why in News?
DRDO today conducted the successful maiden launch of the Akash-NG (New Generation) missile from Integrated Test Range off the coast of Odisha.
• Akash-NG is a new generation surface-to-air missile meant for use by the Indian Air Force with an aim of intercepting high maneuvering low RCS aerial threats.
• The missile intercepted the target with textbook precision.
• The Multi-Function Radar was tested for its capability of integration with the system.
• The Akash-NG system has been developed with better deployability compared to other similar systems with canisterized launcher and a much smaller ground system footprint.
• The missile has the capability of targeting the aircraft up to 50-60 km away at altitudes of 18,000 m
• Missile is in operation with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.
• It utilizes an integrated ramjet-rocket propulsion system. This propulsion system provides sustained thrust for the missile after initial rocket motor burnout until its interception.