Syllabus Section: Agriculture
WHY IN NEWS?
A flag-off ceremony of regional rice consignment was organised in Varanasi by APEDA considering the potential of rice export from Varanasi region.
• Chairman APEDA said that considering the potential of increasing exports of rice from Varanasi region, APEDA will prepare a perspective Action Plan for increasing export of Rice from Varanasi Region to enable all concerned stakeholders for taking necessary action in a time bound manner for achieving the target.
• Chandauli, Uttar Pradesh is popularly known as the Bowl of Rice "Dhaan Ka Katora of Uttar Pradesh” for non-basmati rice because of fertile lands of the Gangetic Plains.
APEDA was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act passed by the Parliament in December, 1985. The Act (2 of 1986) came into effect from 13th February, 1986. The Authority replaced the Processed Food Export Promotion Council (PFEPC).
• In accordance with the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985, (2 of 1986) the following functions have been assigned to the Authority.
• Development of industries relating to the scheduled products for export by way of providing financial assistance or otherwise for undertaking surveys and feasibility studies, participation in enquiry capital through joint ventures and other reliefs and subsidy schemes;
• Registration of persons as exporters of the scheduled products on payment of such fees as may be prescribed;
• Fixing of standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports;
• Carrying out inspection of meat and meat products in slaughter houses, processing plants, storage premises, conveyances or other places where such products are kept or handled for the purpose of ensuring the quality of such products;
• Improving of packaging of the Scheduled products;
• Improving of marketing of the Scheduled products outside India;
• Promotion of export oriented production and development of the Scheduled products;
• Collection of statistics from the owners of factories or establishments engaged in the production, processing, packaging, marketing or export of the scheduled products or from such other persons as may be prescribed on any matter relating to the scheduled products and publication of the statistics so collected or of any portions thereof or extracts therefrom;
• Training in various aspects of the industries connected with the scheduled products;
• Such other matters as may be prescribed.
APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the following scheduled products:
• Fruits, Vegetables and their Products.
• Meat and Meat Products.
• Poultry and Poultry Products.
• Dairy Products.
• Confectionery, Biscuits and Bakery Products.
• Honey, Jaggery and Sugar Products.
• Cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds.
• Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages.
• Cereal and Cereal Products.
• Groundnuts, Peanuts and Walnuts.
• Pickles, Papads and Chutneys.
• Guar Gum.
• Floriculture and Floriculture Products.
• Herbal and Medicinal Plants.
In addition to this, APEDA has been entrusted with the responsibility to monitor import of sugar.