Syllabus section – Geography
Why in news ?
Cyclone Nivar is likely to cross Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coasts between Karaikal and Mamallapuram with a wind speed of 120-130 kmph, gusting up to 145 kmph.
• India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast and requirements projected by the state authorities
• NDRF is working in close coordination with district and local administrations.
• NDRF is spreading a sense of security amongst the communities that teams are available at their service and will remain present in the area until the situation returns to normal, so that the public does not panic.
What is Cyclone ?
• cyclone is a large scale air mass that rotates around a strong center of low atmospheric pressure.
• Cyclones are characterized by inward spiraling winds that rotate about a zone of low pressure.
• The largest low-pressure systems are polar vortices and extratropical cyclones of the largest scale.
• They use warm, moist air as fuel and therefore form over warm ocean waters near the equator.