Syllabus Section: Polity and Governance / Government initiatives
WHY IN NEWS?
The Uttar Pradesh government has approved its ambitious Ganga Expressway Greenfield Project on November 26, 2020. Total length of the project is 594 kilometers. The project would cost rupees 36,402 crore.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
• It is a proposed six lane Greenfield expressway project in Uttar Pradesh and it was launched by the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister on January 29, 2019.
• The government said that it would be the longest expressway in the world. The expressway will provide for better connectivity of the Prayagraj (Allahabad) to Western Uttar Pradesh.
• The 594 Kms Expressway will be completed in two phases.
• Phase-1 of the project would pass through 13 districts including Meerut, Amroha, Bulandshahr, Budaun, Shahjahanpur, Kannauj, Unnao, Rae Bareli, Pratap garh. It will end at Malawan Khurd village in Prayagraj District.
• The Phase-2 of the project would consists of a 110 km long section connecting Tigri to nearby Haridwar and a 314 km section that will connect Prayagraj to Ballia. Phase 1 of the project would be completed by 2025.
ABOUT THE EXPRESSWAY PROJECTS
• Expressways are the highest class of roads in the road network in India. National Expressways Authority of India under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is responsible for the construction and maintenance of expressways.
• Expressways are controlled-access highway, the highest-grade type of highway with access ramps, lane dividers, etc., for high-speed traffic.
Source: NDTV News .