Syllabus section—Science and technology
Why in news?
At celebration of the 9th Foundation Day of GITA, Union Minister of Science and Technology underlined how Global Innovation and Technology Alliance (GITA) served as a catalyst for nurturing innovation and industrial research and development.
• Global Innovation and Technology Alliance (GITA) is a “not–for–profit” Section-8 Public Private Partnership (PPP) company.
• It is promoted jointly by the Technology Development Board (TDB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
• The Prime Minister’s Council on Trade and Industry had, in 2010, recommended incorporation of a Government’s arm’s length entity under PPP mode to professionally manage the Government’s funds for providing flexibility to industry for undertaking research and development along with global partners.
• The GITA platform encourages industrial investments in innovative technology solutions by
1. Mapping technology gaps,
2. Undertaking expert evaluation of technologies available across the globe,
3. Facilitating techno–strategic collaborative partnerships appropriate for Indian economy,
4. Connecting industrial and institutional partners for synergistic matchmaking and
5. Providing soft funding for technology development / acquisition / deployment.