WHY IN NEWS?
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has been given “ the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope” milestone status.
IEEE MILESTONES PROGRAMME
• The IEEE Milestones programmehonors significant technical achievements which have global or regional impact.
• This is only the third such IEEE ‘Milestone’ recognition for an Indian contribution.
• The previous two Indian IEEE Milestones were for the pioneering work done by Sir J.C. Bose to demonstrate the generation and reception of radio waves in 1895 (recognised in 2012), and for the Nobel Prize-winning (in 1930) ‘scattering of light’ phenomenon observed by Sir C.V. Raman in 1928.
GMRT(GIANT METREWAVE RADIO TELESCOPE)
• GMRT is one of the largest and most sensitive low frequency radio observatories in the world.
• It is operated by the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune which is a part of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
• GMRT is a very versatile instrument for investigating a variety of radio astrophysical problems ranging from nearby Solar system to the edge of observable Universe.
• The facility was conceived of and proposed in the late 1980s, built and made operational during the 1990s, and opened for use by the global astronomy community in 2002.
SOURCE – The Hindu