Syllabus section – Environment and Ecology
Why in news?
Minister for Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the Green Charcoal Hackathon being organised by NVVN (NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam), a wholly-owned subsidiary company of NTPC.
• The Hackathon displays the spirit of innovation, which pervades NTPC.
• The NTPC management encourages all young engineers to present innovation and new ideas.
• To encourage the participants, there was a provision for cash prizes worth up to `24 lakh in three categories for production of torrefied biomass pellets — 100 kg per day; 1,000 kg per day; 10 tonnes per day.
• This (Hackathon) is also innovation in the pursuit of reducing our carbon footprint.
• From that point of view, all competitors in the Hackathon should keep in mind that the process of converting this (agro residue) to charcoal should not lead to emissions
• Another key thing is the commercial model, which will depend on the cost of both the machine and charcoal production.
• The purpose of the event is to leverage the innovative Indian mind to bridge the technology gap with the prime objective to clean the air by eliminating farm fire, producing renewable energy out of the agro residue, to promote local entrepreneurship, and to increase the income of the farmers.
Source- The pioneer