Syllabus section: International Relation
Why in News?
Japan tops the list of being the most powerful passport in the world for the year 2021, according to the latest report by the Henley Passport Index.
• Pakistan (rank 107) and Nepal (rank 104) continue to be in the 'worst passports to hold' category.
• According to the report, Japanese citizens can travel to as many as 191 countries visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 191 destinations around the world.
• Singapore is in second place and South Korea ties with Germany in third place.
• Countries such as UK, USA, New Zealand and Switzerland were at the seventh position. They are considered as the most powerful passports in the world. Their score was 185
• India ranks 85th in the most powerful passport report with a visa-free score of 58.
What is Passport Index?
The Passport Index is an online tool. It provides insights about visa-free travel option. The Passport Index includes World Openness score, Visa-free scores and Global mobility scores.