Syllabus section: International relations
Why in news?
The 35th edition of India-Indonesia Coordinated Patrol (IND-INDO CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Indonesian Navy was held.
• The Navies of India and Indonesia have been carrying out CORPAT exercise along their International Maritime Boundary Line since 2002.
• The exercise is held with the aim to ensure safety and security of shipping and international trade in the region.
• The exercise helps to suppress Illegal Unreported Unregulated (IUU) fishing, armed robbery, maritime terrorism, piracy.
• Under the Government of India’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region), the Indian Navy is organising Coordinated Patrols and Multi-lateral exercises with countries in the Indian Ocean Region.
• The other activities held under SAGAR are Exclusive Economic Zone surveillance, enhancing regional maritime security, passage exercises.