Syllabus Section: Geography
WHY IN NEWS?
Hong Kong is set to grant a site on the western Kowloon peninsula, to China’s national security office for its permanent base in the city.
- The Kowloon Peninsula is a peninsula that forms the southern part of the main landmass in the territory of Hong Kong, alongside Victoria Harbour and facing toward Hong Kong island.
- The Kowloon Peninsula and the area of New Kowloon are collectively known as Kowloon.
- Geographically, the term “Kowloon Peninsula” may also refer to the area south of the mountain ranges of Beacon Hill, Lion Rock, Tate’s Cairn, Kowloon Peak, etc.
- The peninsula covers five of the eighteen districts of Hong Kong.
- Kowloon Bay is located at the northeast of the peninsula.
Source: The Hindu