Syllabus Section: Geography of India/ Agriculture
Why in News?
The Union Territory of Lakshadweep has been declared as Organic Agricultural Area by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s welfare.
- The UT of Lakshadweep is second after Sikkim to achieve the status of 100% organic region. It is first in the Union Territories of India to achieve the status.
- The entire area of Lakshadweep has been certified as organic under the Union Government’s Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (organic farming improvement programme).
- Lakshadweep has been separated from the main stream India geographically. There has been no shipment of chemicals and fertilizers to the island group for the last 15 years.
- The UT administration has been practicing farming only using inputs like compost, poultry manure, and green leaf manure. The UT has not made any expenditure for procurement of chemicals.
About Organic Farming
- It is technique that involves cultivation of plants and rearing animals in natural ways. It avoids use of synthetic substances to prevent soil fertility and ecological balances. By this, organic farming aims to minimize wastages and pollution. It involves biological methods.
- The main benefits of organic farming are lower input costs, environmental friendly, improve soil structure, premium price, etc.
- Uttarakhand was the first state to launch Organic Farming Policy in 2000.
- Sikkim was the first state to become 100% organic.
Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana is an elaborated component of Soil Health Management (SHM) of major project National Mission of Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA). Under PKVY Organic farming is promoted through adoption of organic village by cluster approach and PGS certification.
Source: The Hindu