Syllabus Section: Governance
WHY IN NEWS?
The Maharashtra government this week presented a draft bill making changes to existing laws on violence against women and children.The Bill is proposed to be enacted as Shakti Act, 2020.
PURPOSE AND PROPOSAL
• Increase in crime against womenis the reason for drafting of this bill.
• Bill proposes to make changes to the Indian Penal Code, the Code of Criminal Procedure and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
• The changes will be done in existing sections of rape, sexual harassment, acid attack and child sexual abuse.
• It proposes death penalty in cases of rape, gang rape, rape by persons in authority, aggravated sexual assault of minors and in cases of acid attack when grievous injury is caused.
• The death penalty is proposed in cases which are heinous in nature and where adequate conclusive evidence is available and circumstances warrant exemplary punishment.
• The draft Bill proposes an additional law to deal with abuse of women on social media.
• Section 354E is added to include intentional acts creating “a sense of danger, intimidation, and fear to a woman” apart from insulting her modesty by any act, deed or words including offensive communication will be an offence with a maximum punishment of two years and a Rs 1 lakh fine.
• The Bill also makes provision for making a “false complaint” or provides false information in respect of offence committed stating that anyone who does that “solely with the intention to humiliate, extort or threaten or defame or harass” a person shall face imprisonment for a term up to one year or fine or both.
Source: Indian Express