Syllabus Section: Science and Technolgy
WHY IN NEWS?
• A new drug called Molnupiravir has been shown to stop the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in 24 hours. It have been published in the journal Nature Microbiology.And Indian researchers plan to apply to the drug regulator to conduct human trials with the drug.
ABOUT THE DRUG
• The antiviral drug Molnupiravir, or MK-4482/EIDD-2801, is taken orally. Molnupiravir is being developed by the biotechnology firm Ridgeback Biotherapeutics in collaboration with pharmaceutical firm Merck.
• The research team repurposed MK-4482/EIDD-2801 against SARS-CoV-2 and tested it on ferrets.
• This is the first demonstration of an orally available drug to rapidly block SARS-CoV-2 transmission.
• In ferrets, the drug was shown to completely suppress transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in 24 hours.
• Researchers infected ferrets with SARS-CoV-2 and initiated treatment with MK-4482/EIDD-2801 when the animals started to shed the virus from the nose.
• Ferrets are a popular model for influenza and other respiratory infections because their lung physiology is similar to humans and researchers hope they will mimic aspects of Covid-19 in people such as its spread
• The drug basically stops replication of the copies of the virus’s RNA in the cell.
Source: Indian Express