Syllabus section: Art and culture
Why in News?
KVIC Brings Alive 1000-yrs Old Monpa Handmade Paper Industry in Tawang to Revive the Heritage Art; a Historic Feat for North East
• The art of making Monpa handmade paper originated over 1000 years ago.
• This handmade paper was a major source of livelihood for the locals.
• However, the handmade paper industry almost disappeared in the last 100 years.
• Recently, KVIC commissioned a Monpa handmade paper making unit in Tawang which aims at reviving the art and engaging the local youths with this art professionally and earn.
• The Monpa handmade paper, will be made from the bark of a local tree called Shugu Sheng, which has medicinal values too. Hence availability of raw material will not be a problem.