Syllabus section: Defence technology
Why in News?
Raksha Mantri launched the Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) through an online webinar.
• The NIIO puts in place dedicated structures for the end users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence in keeping with the vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
• The NIIO is a three-tiered organisation.
• Naval Technology Acceleration Council (N-TAC) will bring together the twin aspects of innovation and indigenisation and provide apex level directives.
• A working group under the N-TAC will implement the projects.
• A Technology Development Acceleration Cell (TDAC) has also been created for induction of emerging disruptive technology in an accelerated time frame.
• The Draft Defence Acquisition Policy 2020 (DAP 20) envisages Service Headquarters establishing an Innovation &Indigenisation Organisation within existing resources.
• Indian Navy already has a functional Directorate of Indigenisation (DoI) and the new structures created will build upon the ongoing indigenisation initiatives, as well as focus on innovation.