Syllabus Section: Security/Defence technology
WHY IN NEWS?
• India’s Armed forces – Army, Navy and Air Force- are conducting back to back tests of various version of BrahMos missile.
ABOUT BRAHMOS MISSILE:
• It derives its name from the combination of Brahmaputra (India) and Moskva (Russia) rivers.
• It is designed, developed and produced by BrahMos Aerospace, a joint venture company setyp by DRDO and Mashinostroyenia (DRDO).
• It is two-stage missile with solid propellant booster and liquid ramjet as the secondstage.
• Cruise missiles like Bramhos are type of systems known as the ‘standoff range weapons’ which are fired from a range sufficient to allow the attacker to evade defensive fire from the adversary.
• The first test launch of the initial version BrahMosh took place in 2001.
• The Indian Navy began inducting BrahMos on its frontline warships from 2005.
• Recent launch of Indian navy is BrahMosAShM(Anti Ship Missile) by INS Ranvijay.
SIGNIFICANCE OF HAVING LAND, SEA AND AIR-LAUNCHED BRAHMOS
• The land attack version of BrahMos has the capability of cruising at 2.8Mach speed.
• With the upgraded capability the missile can hit targets at a range upto 400 kilometers with precision.
• Advanced versions of range above, 1,000 kilometers and speed upto 5Mach are to be under development.
• It has four to six mobile autonomous launchers. With each having three missiles on board that can be fired almost simultaneously.
• It has capability to hit sea-based target beyond radar horizon.
• The Brahmos from ship can be launched as a single unit or in a salvo upto eight in numbers separated by 2.5 seconds intervals.
• These salvo can hit and destroy a group of frigates having modern missile defence systems
AIR LAUNCHED VERSION:
• In Nov 2017, Brahmos was successfully flight-tested for the first time from IAF frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI against sea based target.
• BrahMos equipped Sukhoi-30s are considered as a key strategic deterrence for the adversaries both along the land borders and in the strategically important Indian Ocean Region.
SUBMARINE LAUNCHED VERSION:
• It has capability of being launched from around 50 meters below the water surface.