Syllabus Section:International Institutions
Why in News?
- Saudi Arabia to join ‘Net Zero Producers Forum’ on climate change.
- Saudi Arabia will join the United States, Canada, Norway, and Qatar in forming ‘Net Zero Producers Forum’ for oil and gas producers.
- The forum will discuss how they can support the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Saudi Arabia is the world's biggest crude exporter,
- In the past, Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has said the kingdom aims to reduce its carbon emissions by generating 50% of the country's energy from renewables by 2030.
- US President Joe Biden unveiled plans to cut emissions by 50%-52% from 2005 levels at the two-day climate summit kicked off on Earth Day and attended virtually by leaders of 40 countries.
SOURCE – ALL INDIA RADIO