Syllabus Section: Agriculture
Why in News?
- This newly developed variety called MACS 1407.
- It is suitable for cultivation in the states of Assam, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and North-Eastern states
- Its seeds will be made available to farmers for sowing during the 2022 Kharif season.
- It is widely cultivated as oil seeds as well as a cheap source of protein for animal feed and many packaged meals and is striving to be among the world’s major producers of soybean.
- Scientists from MACS- Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Pune, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi have developed higher yielding varietiesusing the conventional cross breeding technique.
Significance of this new Variety
- It is a high yielding variety and is also resistant to major insect-pests like girdle beetle, leaf miner, leaf roller, stem fly, aphids, white fly and defoliators
- This high-yielding, disease resistant varieties of the legume can help achieve this target.
- It is highly adaptive to sowing from 20 June to 5 July without any yield loss. This makes it resistant to the vagaries of Monsoon as compared to other varieties.”
Source: DD News