Syllabus: Governance – Initiatives/ Schemes
Why in News?
The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi has recently approved the proposal to set up the public Wi-Fi networks across the country.
PM WANI Initiative
- The Wi-Fi networks will be used to strengthen the Wi-Fi services for the public. This Public Wi-Fi Access Network Interface will be known as PM-WANI.
- The approval has been given by the Public Data Office Aggregator in order to provide Wi-Fi services to the public by the Public Data Offices.
- Setting up of the Wi-Fi Networks will accelerate the proliferation of broadband internet services through a Public Wi-Fi network across the country.
- The Wi-Fi Networks would not require registration, license, or fee to get the broadband internet.
- Under the PM-WANI initiative, the public do not require to register themselves for Public Data Office Aggregators (PDOAs), PDOs and app providers. They just require to get themselves registered online with DoT through a registration portal.
- The interfaces do not require registration fee and registration will be provided within 7 days of application and these public Wi-Fi Hotspots will further boost the proliferation all across the country.
- The government expects that, this plan would be more business-friendly and in line with ease of doing business efforts.
- The Public Wi-Fi services will create network besides enhancing the income of small and medium entrepreneurs who helps in boosting the GDP of the country.
- The initiative would not require any License fee to provide the broadband internet services.
Source: The Indian Express