Section of the syllabus –society
Why in News ?
Defence Minister launched a portal for defence land management system (LMS) that is expected to bring greater transparency, efficiency and speed in dealing with land management matter.
• Developed by the Department of Defence (DOD) in conjunction with the Directorate General Defence Estates (DGDE) and Armed forces
• The Intranet portal will digitise all requests of defence land management received by the DOD in the future.
• data for cases since 2016 have already been captured and are available in the portal. Progressively, data of prior period will also be entered in the portal which is meant only for departmental use and it is not open for the public.
• With the integration of GIS (Geographic Information System) based tools, it will improve the decision-making process by removing duplication and unnecessary communication between various stakeholder groups involved in the decision-making process.
• The software, apart from capturing the textual details of all proposals relating to defence management, integrates these textual details with RakshaBhoomi software as well as other relevant GIS-layers which include satellite imagery of the area, other amenities
• To bring in greater speed, transparency and efficiency into the LMS of the DOD.
• Defence Land encroachment is considered as the major issue in defence land management
• Encroachments of defence lands are more common near airfields of Indian Air force. Such encroachments have contributed to 10% fighter jet accidents.
• Indian Govt is strengthening defence land management system by means of digitisation of land records, demarcation, survey, land audit, verification and inspection under the Cantonment Executive Officers
Benefits : The portal will improve the decision-making process by removing unnecessary communication between the stakeholders.
Source – The Hindu