Syllabus Section: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) is announced by the Union Government for the month of May and June 2021.
- PMGKAY is a part of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) to ameliorate the hardships faced by the poor due to Covid-19 situation.
- Under this scheme, it has been decided to allocate an additional quota of free-of-cost food grains at 5 Kg per person per month to nearly 80 Crore beneficiaries covered under National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- The additional quota to the already subsidised 5 kg of food grains that is provided through the Public Distribution System (PDS) will be provided to beneficiaries covered under both categories of NFSA,
- Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) and
- Priority Householders (PHH).
- The Food Corporation of India will provide additional 80 LMT food grains in May and June 2021, under the scheme to respective State/UT Governments, in addition to their regular NFSA allocation.
- This allocation for May and June 2021 would be on the same pattern as the earlier PM-GKAY. The government had announced PMGKAY-I (April-June 2020) and PMGKAY-II (July-November 2020).