Syllabus Section: International Relations
Why in News?
- Project DANTAK is commemorating its Diamond Jubilee in Bhutan.
- Project Dantak is Border Roads Organisation’s one of the oldest project.
- Project DANTAK was established on April 24, 1961,
- It was result of visionary leadership of His Majesty the Third King and then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- Dantak was tasked to construct the pioneering motorable roads in the Kingdom
Importance of the Project:
- Project has helped in spurring the
- socio-economic development and growth of Bhutan,
- the Project has completed approximately 1600 km of blacktopped roads and 120 km of tracks in Bhutan with 5000 meters of bridges over them.
- Some other notable projects executed under the project include the construction of Paro Airport, Yonphula Airfield, Thimphu – Trashigang Highway, Telecommunication & Hydro Power Infrastructure, Sherubtse College, Kanglung and India House Estate.
- The medical and education facilities established by DANTAK in far flung areas were often the first in those locations.
About Border Road Organisation:
- BRO was conceived and raised in 1960 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru for coordinating the speedy development of a network of roads in the North and the North Eastern border regions of the country.
- It works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
- It has diversified into a large spectrum of construction and development works comprising airfields, building projects, defence works and tunneling and has endeared itself to the people.