Syllabus Section- Agriculture and Economic development
Why in the news?
• Union Agriculture Minister rolls out training programme ‘SahakarPragya’
• It is a part of National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) to strengthen India’s cooperative societies.
• The 45 new training modules of SahakarPragya of the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) will impart training to primary cooperative societies in rural areas of the country along with LakshmanraoInamdar National Cooperative Research and Development Academy.
• It embodies enhancing NCDC’s training capacity through an elaborate network of 18 Regional Training Centres across the country.
Need of the SahakarPragya
• Today India boasts a huge network of over 8.5 lakh cooperative societies with about 290 million members.
• Nearly 94% of the farmers in India are members of at least one cooperative society.
• Cooperatives lend strength to farmers to minimize risks in agriculture and allied sectors and act as a shield against exploitation by unscrupulous traders.
• Cooperatives have a major role in AtmaNirbhar Bharat.
SahakarCooptube NCDC Channel
• The central body had recently launched the SahakarCooptube NCDC Channel with an aim to involve youngsters in the cooperative movement.
• It is a new initiative by the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC).
• It is an initiative towards One Nation One Market with the objective for India to become a food factory of the world.
Source – PIB