Syllabus section: Internal security
Why in News?
BDL signs pact with Thales to make STARStreak Missile Systems.
• The STARStreak is a short-range surface-to-air missile. It was earlier called as the Shorts Missile System. It travels at Mach 3 speed, that is, the speed of the missile is three times the speed of sound.
• STARStreak has been in service with the British Army since 1997.
• The minimum range of the system is 0.3 km and the maximum range is 7 km. The range of the STARStreak System II variant is more than 7 km.
• The other variants of the STARStreak system are air to air system that can be fired from helicopters.
• The Light Weight Multiple Launcher variants of the STARStreak system can be used mounting on a stationary vehicle.
• The surface to air missile installed in the STARStreak Air Defence System is currently the fastest short-range surface to air missile in the world.
• The missile is made of three LASER guided Darts.
Source: The Hindu