Syllabus Section: Governance Initiatives
Why in news?
The Union Cabinet has given approval for the Provision of Submarine Optical Fibre Cable Connectivity between Mainland of Kochi and Lakshadweep Islands (KLI Project).
About the KLI project
- The Project provides a provision of a direct communication link through a dedicated submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC).
- It will run in between Kochi and 11 Islands of Lakshadweep namely- Kavaratti, Agati, Amini, Kalpeni, Minicoy, Androth, Bangaram, Bitra, Kiltan, Chetlat and Kadmat.
- The estimated cost of the project is about Rs. 1072 crore. This also include the operational expenses for 5 years.
- The Project will be funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund and It will be completed by May 2023.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (BSNL) has been nominated as Project Execution Agency. While, the Telecommunications Consultant India Ltd. (TCIL) has been appointed as the Technical Consultant of the Project.
- It will assist the Universal Service Obligation Fund to facilitate the funding.
Significance of the Project
- The growth of the telecom infrastructure is linked with the economic and social development.
- Telecommunication connectivity also plays an important role in employment generation. Thus, this approval by the cabinet will improve the telecommunication facility in the Lakshadweep Islands. It will provide the telecommunication facility by providing the large bandwidth.
- The submarine connectivity project will also play an important role in the delivery of e-Governance services at the doorstep pf citizens.
- It would also help in the potential development of fisheries, coconut based industries and high-value tourism.
- The project also seeks for the educational development in term of Tele-education and health care in terms of telemedicine facilities.
- It will establish the numerous businesses, augment e-commerce activities and would provide adequate support to the educational institutes for knowledge sharing.