Syllabus section: Economy / Reports and Indices
Why in news?
Recently on the occasion of 63rd Founding Day Celebrations of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, The Union Minister of Finance released the Smuggling in India Report 2019-20.
• In 2019-20, the department of revenue intelligence (DRI) spearheaded the operations against the trafficking of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances
• The Directorate also busted an international drug smuggling racket with the seizure of 3.3 kg of cocaine under the ‘Operation Calypso’.
• It detected 412 cases of smuggling resulting in the seizure of contraband worth â¹1,949 crore in 2019-20.
• It arrested 837 economic offenders and also unearthed 761 complex cases of Customs duty evasion amounting to â¹2,183 crore.
• The agency cracked down on smugglers and seized 174.50 metric tonne of red sanders apart from rescuing endangered animals and birds.
About Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
• The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence is the apex anti-smuggling agency of India, working under the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
• It is tasked with detecting and curbing smuggling of contraband, including drug trafficking and illicit international trade in wildlife and environmentally sensitive items, as well as combating commercial frauds related to international trade and evasion of Customs duty.
Source: News on All India Radio