Syllabus Section: Reports and Indices/ International organisations.
Why in news?
The World Malaria Report (WMR) 2020 was released by World Health Organization (WHO). The report has highlighted the estimated cases for malaria across the world on the basis of mathematical projections.
Findings of the report
• The report highlights that, India has made significant progress in reducing its malaria burden.
• As per the report, India is the only high endemic country that has reported a decline of cases by 17.6% in 2019 as compared to 2018.
• It also highlights that, the Annual Parasitic Incidence (API) has reduced by 18.4% in 2019 as compared to 2018.
• India also shows the largest drop in the malaria cases region-wide. Cases have reduced from 20 million to about 6 million.
• The percentage drop in the malaria cases is 71.8%.
• India’s Malaria Morbidity has also decreased by 83.34%. Thus, it has achieved Goal 6 of the Millennium Development Goals that has set target to reduce the case by 50-75% between 2000 and 2019.