Syllabus Section: Reports & Indices / International Organisations.
Why in news?
The World Trade Organization (WTO) has released the World Trade Report, 2020.
• The report by the World Trade Organization analyses the adoption of government policies so as to foster the technological progress and digital innovation.
• The report highlights that due to covid-19 crisis, 115 countries have adopted new digital and industrial strategies.
• These digital and industrial strategies would boost the transition towards digital economy.
• The strategies include tax breaks that facilitate the digital innovation, policies to address access to the data, technological hub that maximize the knowledge diffusion.
About the World Trade Report
• The report is published annually with an aim to boost the understanding regarding the trends in trade, issues and policies.
• The 2020 version of the report focuses on technology and innovation policies. It also explains the role of the World Trade Organization in the changing world.
Source: WTO Publications.