SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (ECONOMY)
WHY IN THE NEWS TOURISM ROUTES?
The steady recovery in India’s commercial aviation sector has lifted upturn traffic to near pre-Covid levels—but with a clear realignment in capacities and Tourism Routes.
- The numbers show a push for tourism routes and direct connectivity to smaller airports.
- Destinations such as Srinagar and Goa have seen significant capacity addition by airlines, which underlines the “revenge travel trend” after the Covid curbs.
- Summer schedule also saw the addition of direct connections to Srinagar from non-metro cities such as Ahmedabad and Hyderabad.
- The increasing direct connectivity to smaller airports Tourism Routes.
- Domestic passenger traffic continues to inch closer to 2019 levels.
- At the same time, international passenger traffic for Indian carriers has already surpassed pre Covid levels with airlines that were dependent on China and the far-east now looking at other geographies, including India
- India reverted to the pre-Covid scheduled operations and bilateral capacity agreements fromMarch27thisyear
- Foreign airlines that were dependent on China and the far-east for a meaningful portion of their traffic are now looking at other geographies, such as India and the US, to deploy surplus capacities.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS