SYLLABUS SECTION: GS II (GOVERNANCE)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
According to the Ministry of Education’s National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2022, the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IITM), is the top higher education institute in the country follow by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, and IIT Bombay.
- During the launch of ranking Education Minister said that,
- Accreditation and assessment of every higher education institution will be made mandatory.
- All institutions will have to be part of the NIRF ranking system.
- Two accreditation systems — NAAC and NBA — will be merge and institutes will need to have either NAAC accreditation or NIRF rank to be able to get government funds.
- There will be a system for accreditation of schools in the country.
- This is the seventh consecutive edition of NIRF.
- It ranks colleges, universities and research institutions and also provides an overall ranking of all of them combined.
- Under NIRF ranking institutions are evaluate on five parameters:
- Teaching, learning and resources (TLR);
- Research and professional practice;
- Graduation outcome;
- Outreach; and
- Inclusivity and perception
- Under this ranking institutes are also ranked across seven subject domains, namely engineering, management, pharmacy, law, medical, architecture and dental.
- Top Five Universities:
- Among the universities, IISc, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Millia Islamia, Jadavpur University and Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham were among the top five.
- Top Five Colleges:
- The Top five colleges in the country are Miranda House, Hindu College, Presidency College, Loyola College and Lady Shri Ram College for Women.
- Top Five Medical Institutes:
- The top five medical institutes are All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, Christian Medical College, Vellore, National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences, Bengaluru, and Banaras Hindu University.
- Top Five Management Institutes:
- The top five management institutes are Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad, IIM Bengaluru, IIM Kolkata, IIT Delhi and IIM Kozhikode.
NATIONAL INSTITUTIONAL RANKING FRAMEWORK (NIRF)
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was approved by the MHRD and launched by Honourable Minister of Human Resource Development on 29th September 2015.
- This framework outlines a methodology to rank institutions across the country.
- The methodology draws from the overall recommendations broad understanding arrived at by a Core Committee set up by MHRD, to identify the broad parameters for ranking various universities and institutions.
- The parameters broadly cover “Teaching, Learning and Resources,” “Research and Professional Practices,” “Graduation Outcomes,” “Outreach and Inclusivity,” and “Perception”.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: THE HINDU