SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (ENVIRONMENT AND ECOLOGY)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
Recently, National Institute of Urban Affairs’ (NIUA) Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube), World Resources Institute India (WRI India) ,and their partners launched India’s first national coalition platform for urban nature-based solutions (NBS) at the 11th World Urban Forum in Poland.
- Ecosystem-based services and NBS are fast emerging as cost-effective and sustainable ways to address climate change-induced challenges such as heat, urban flooding, air and water pollution and storm surges.
- Apart from mitigating the impact of climate change, NBS also help in providing multiple ecosystem benefits along with addressing various societal challenges including creating resilience among the most vulnerable sections of urban communities that are most affect by climate change-induce disasters.
Check out BEST UPSC COACHING IN DELHI
INDIA FORUM FOR NATURE-BASED SOLUTIONS:
- It is India’s first national coalition platform for urban NBS.
- It aims to create a collective of NBS entrepreneurs, government entities and like-minded organizations, to help scale urban nature-based solutions by:
- Defining a shared language and communicating benefits that inform actions at the local level including scaling up of existing NBS interventions.
- Driving investment and strengthening delivery mechanisms through multi-stakeholder coordination.
- Mainstreaming urban ecosystem-based services and nature-based solutions in India through informing policy, plans and project interventions.
- ‘India Forum for Nature-based Solutions’ is led by the National Institute of Urban Affairs’ Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube) and anchored by World Resources Institute India (WRI India) under the Cities4Forests initiative.
- It is supported by Caterpillar Foundation, the Department of Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Govt. of the United Kingdom and Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI).
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS