SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
WHY IN NEWS INTERNET SHUTDOWNS?
Recently, United Nations-backed report (by OHCHR) has highlighted that shutdowns the internet affects people’s safety & well-being, hampers information flow and harms the economy
Internet shutdowns are measures taken by a government or on behalf of a government,
To intentionally disrupt access to and the use of information and communications systems online.
STATUS OF SHUTDOWN IN INDIA:
India’s record: India blocked or disrupted internet connections 106 times and at least 85 of India’s internet shutdown episodes were in Jammu & Kashmir
IMPACT OF SHUTDOWN:
- Economic Impact: It disrupts financial transactions, entrepreneurship, commerce and industry
- The World Bank recently calculated that Internet shutdowns in Myanmar alone had cost nearly $2.8 billion from February-December 2021,
- They reversing economic progress made over the previous decade.
- Political Impact: It eliminate access to digital tools that are critical for campaigning, promoting public discussion, conducting voting and overseeing the electoral processes
- Civic Impact: Disrupt societal debates, works of NGO, SHG.
- Other Impact: Interferes with health and education e.g., for digital education and tele-medicines, endangers vulnerable sections: women and girls who are in need of support and protection.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS