SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (ENVIRONMENT AND ECOLOGY)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
Recently, the Union Minister for Environment, represented India at the virtual meeting of the Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF), hosted by U.S. President Joseph Biden.
MAJOR ECONOMIES FORUM ON ENERGY AND CLIMATE (MEF)
- The Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF) was launch on March 28, 2009.
- The MEF meeting was aims at galvanizing actions that are to strengthen energy security and tackle the climate crisis thereby building momentum for COP27.
- The meeting was attend by twenty-three major economies across the world and the Secretary General of United Nations.
Initiatives by India on climate change
- India’s initiatives go beyond its borders, including the International Solar Alliance, and the Coalition for Disaster Resilience Infrastructure.
- India has already installed 159 GW of non-fossil fuel-based electricity generation capacity.
- During the last 7.5 years, India’s installs solar energy capacity has increased over 18 times.
- India’s annual per capita emissions are only a third of the global average and its cumulative GHG emissions are less than 4 percent.
- Members of MEF has been call to launch a global movement on LIFE i.e., Lifestyle for Environment as espoused by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at the COP26 in Glasgow.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS