SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
WHY IN NEWS TELECOMMUNICATION?
The Department of Telecommunication has sought views on the need for overhauling laws governing the telecom sector, stressing on the need for a new legal framework which was clear, precise, and in tune with the changing times and technologies.
- The draft paper recognizes exclusive privilege of the Government to provide telecommunication services, establish and maintain telecommunication network and infrastructure.
- Simplification of the regulatory framework through adequate provisions to ensure regulatory certainty and promote investment.
- Regulatory clarity for spectrum allocation.
- At present, spectrum assignment is done through a combination of policies and court orders.
- Recently, the CAG report highlights gaps in spectrum allocations
- Effective Right of Way (legal right to pass along a specific route through property belonging to another) through a uniform, non-discriminatory framework to ensure continuity of connectivity.
- Overhaul the current Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) with the wider concept of a “Telecommunication Development Fund”
- Appropriate provisions for addressing situations of public emergency, public safety and for taking measures in the interests of national security.
- Framework for mergers, acquisitions, etc. and provisions pertaining to Insolvency as well as penalties.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: ECONOMIC TIMES