SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (Governance)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
Recently, the Central Government has approved New Guidelines of Central Sector Scheme Promotion of MSMEs in North Eastern Region and Sikkim | CENTRAL SECTOR SCHEME.
PROMOTION OF MSMES IN NORTH EASTERN REGION AND SIKKIM
- The Scheme is envisage to provide financial support for enhancing productivity and competitiveness as well as capacity building of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the NER and Sikkim.
- The scheme will be implementing during the 15th Finance Commission Cycle (2021-22 to 2025-26).
COMPONENTS OF THE SCHEME:
- Setting up of new and modernization of existing Mini Technology Centres:
- The Scheme envisages financial assistance to State Governments for setting up new and modernization of existing Mini Technology Centres.
- Projects for the creation of common facilities to supplement manufacturing, testing, packaging, R&D, product and process innovations and training for natural resources such as fruits, spices, agriculture, forestry, sericulture and bamboo etc. available in NER
- Sikkim would be given priority.
- The financial assistance of the Central Government will be 90%.
- Development of new and existing Industrial Estates:
- Central Government financial assistance will be provided for the development of new and existing Industrial Estates, Flatted Factory Complexes.
- The financial assistance of the Government will be 90%.
- The maximum project cost for calculation of assistance shall be Rs.15.00 Crore for the development of a new industrial estate whereas Rs.10.00 crore for the development of an existing Industrial Estate.
- Development of Tourism Sector:
- The projects for the creation of common services such as kitchen, bakery, laundry & dry cleaning, refrigeration and cold storage, IT infra, potable water, display centre for local products, centre for cultural activities etc. in a cluster of homestays may be considered under the scheme.
- There have to be linkages of projects with local SMEs.