SYLLABUS SECTION: GS II (GOVERNANCE)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
Recently, Mo Bus, the bus service of Odisha’s Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT) authority | Prestigious Public Service.
Has been recognize by the United Nations as one of 10 global recipients of its annual Prestigious Public Service Awards for 2022.
- Among the other winners of this year’s awards, were public service initiatives from Thailand, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Panama, the Philippines, Poland, Saudi Arabia, and Ukraine.
- The Mo Bus service was launch on November 6, 2018 to ensure transformation of the urban public transport scenario in the city,
- And its hinterland through use of smart technology, service benchmarking and customer satisfaction.
- The public transport service has been recognize for its role in promoting gender-responsive public services to achieve the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals).
WHY IT WAS RECOGNIZE?
- The UN recognition said the “problem” was that “bus services in the city of Bhubaneswar needs improvement”,
- As the “solution”, the Odisha government in 2018 “reorganize the public transit services in the city,
- They are about to provide an integrate, reliable and inclusive public bus service system”
- In 2020, the MoHUA confer the 13th Urban Mobility India Award on CRUT for “Innovations undertaken in Urban Transport during Covid-19.
- The “impact” is that 57 per cent of the city’s commuters now use the Mo Bus.
MO BUS’S OTHER HONOURS
- In 2019, the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs confer a special award on CRUT,
- The Bhubaneswar City Bus Modernization Project, popularly known as the Mo Bus service.
- In 2021, the 14th Urban Mobility India Award on Odisha as the State which had Implements the Best Urban Transport Projects during the previous year.
UN PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD
- The UN describes its Public Service Awards as the most prestigious international recognition of excellence in public service.
- It is intended to reward the creative achievements and contributions of public service institutions,
- That lead to a more effective and responsive public administration in countries worldwide.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS