SYLLABUS SECTION: GS II (GOVERNANCE)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
Recently, State Food Safety Index has been announce by Union Health Minister on the occasion of World Food Safety Day.
- 11 smart cities were also felicitate for winning the Eat Smart Cities Challenge.
- The FSSAI launche the program last year, in association with the Smart Cities Mission.
- Aim: to motivate Smart Cities to develop a plan that supports a healthy and sustainable food environment through the adoption of various Eat Right India initiatives.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE INDEX:
Among Larger States:
- Tamil Nadu
- Gujarat and
Among Smaller States:
Among Union Territories:
- Jammu and Kashmir,
In addition to the award for the state, 11 districts Tiruvallur, Kancheepuram, Salem, Coimbatore, Chennai, Tirunelveli, Erode, Madurai, Thoothukudi, Tiruppur, and Dindigul – were also honor for best performance. in ‘Eat Right Challenge’, organize by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
STATE FOOD SAFETY INDEX
- The SFSI measures the performance of States on the basis of five parameters.
- Human Resources and Institutional Data
- Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance
- Training & Capacity Building and
- Consumer Empowerment
- The report has been prepare by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) to measure the performance of States across five parameters of food safety.
- This was the fourth State Food Safety Index award, which was started in 2018-19, on the first-ever World Food Safety Day on 7th June 2019.
- Aim: creating a competitive and positive change in India’s food safety ecosystem
- The Index is a dynamic quantitative and qualitative benchmarking model that provides an objective framework for evaluating food safety across all States/UTs.
- It is headed by a non-executive Chairperson, appointed by the Central Government.
WORLD FOOD SAFETY DAY
- June 7 is observed as World Food Safety Day.
- The day aims to promote awareness and encourage steps to prevent, detect, and manage foodborne risks.
- The United Nations set aside the day in 2018 to raise awareness about food safety.
FOOD SAFETY AND STANDARDS AUTHORITY OF INDIA (FSSAI)
- The FSSAI is an autonomous body established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
- It is under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
- It is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
- The chairman is either holding or has held the position of not below the rank of Secretary to the Government of Ind
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
Source: The Hindu