SYLLABUS SECTION: GS II (INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS)
WHY IN THE NEWS?
The political and military aftermath of the Ukraine war conflict ,
They could set the stage for the return of a Euro-centric world order.
DECLINE OF EURO CENTRIC ORDER:
- Decolonization, the emergence of the United States as the western world’s sole superpower,
- And the rise of the rest dramatically diminished the centuries old domination of the European states.
- The political and military aftermath of Russia’s war on Ukraine could potentially tilt,
- The current global balance and take us back to a Euro-centric world order.
- U.S. continues to dominate the trans-Atlantic security landscape and this is likely to remain so.
- If wars have the potential to shape international orders, it is Europe’s turn to shape the world, once again.
- The United States, fatigued from the Iraq and Afghan wars, does not appear to be keen on another round of wars and military engagements.
- A pervasive sense of what some described as “existential insecurity” has brought about a renewed enthusiasm about the future of the European Union and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
- The European Union (EU) Commission has backed Kyiv’s bid for EU candidature.
- FAITH IN GLOBAL INSTUTION HAS BEEN SHAKEN:
- Germany, the engine of this new security thinking in Europe, is coming out of its self-image of being a pacifist nation.
- Little faith in the United Nations or the UN Security Council.
- European states are deeply worry about globalization-induce vulnerability .
- EURO-CENTRIC DECISION MAKING
- Instruments such as the Digital Services Act and the Digital Assets Act or its human rights standards will be unilaterally adopts, and will be unavoidable by other parts of the world.
- While these instruments and standards may in themselves be progressive and unobjectionable for the most part, the problem is with the process which is unilateral and Euro-centric.
- Dilemma for India
- This unilateral attempt to ‘shape the world’ in its image will also be portrayed as an attempt to counter Chinese attempts at global domination.
- India will face a clear dilemma: to politically and normatively oppose the setting of the global agenda by Europeans or to be practical about it and jump on the European bandwagon.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: THE HINDU