SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (INFRASTRUCTURE)
WHY IN NEWS?
The Ministry of Tourism has revamped its Swadesh Darshan scheme as Swadesh Darshan 2.0 (SD2.0) with an aim to develop sustainable and responsible infrastructure at destinations.
SWADESH DARSHAN SCHEME:
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme is a Central Sector scheme launched in 2014-15 by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture.
- The government had launched the Swadesh Darshan Scheme in 2014-15 for integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits — Buddhist Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Desert Circuit, Eco Circuit, Heritage Circuit, Northeast Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Sufi Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Ramayana Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Tirthankar Circuit, Wildlife Circuit and Tribal Circuit.
- To develop sustainable and responsible tourism destinations in the country.
- To create a robust framework for integrated development of tourism destinations in partnership with the States/ UTs and local governments for promoting sustainable and responsible tourism in the country.
The strategic objectives of the Scheme are:
- To enhance the contribution of tourism to the local economies
- Create jobs including self-employment for local communities
- To increase private sector investment in tourism and hospitality
- To preserve and enhance the local cultural and natural resources
SWADESH DARSHAN SCHEME 2.0
- Development of benchmark and standards for generic and theme-specific (Culture and Heritage, Adventure tourism etc.) developments of tourism
- To enhance the skills of local youth in tourism and hospitality
- Adoption of principles of sustainable tourism including environmental, socio-cultural and economic sustainability.
- Developing Tier-II & III destinations to promote domestic tourism.
- State Government to designate Implementing Agency (IA) for projects under SD 2.0 and inform MOT
- SD 2.0 is 100% centrally funded and funds will be sanctioned and released as per the guidelines of the scheme.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS