SYLLABUS SECTION: GS III (ENVIRONMENT AND ECOLOGY)
WHY IN NEWS SAVE ENTREPRENEURS FROM HARASSMENT ?
Recently, The Centre’s proposed amendments to decriminalize certain provisions of the Environment Protection Act (EPA) for Save Entrepreneurs from Harassment.
- It was aim to save law abiding citizens/entrepreneurs from undue harassment in case of minor non compliances.
- Several court cases file, that increase the burden on the judicial system.
- Earlier, the Environment Ministry issued a notification proposing amendments to the Environment Protection Act (EPA), by replacing a clause that provides for imprisoning violators with one that only requires them to pay a fine.
- This did not apply to violations that caused grave injury or loss of
- The propose fines, in lieu of imprisonment, are also up to 500 times greater than those currently levied.
PUNISHMENT FOR VIOLATORS
- Violators could be punish with five years’ imprisonment or a fine of up to ₹1 lakh, or with both.
- If violations continue an additional fine of up to ₹5,000 would be levied every day.
- There is also a provision for jail terms to extend to seven years.
- The provisions are proposed to be decriminalize with heavier penalties in order to encourage self-regulation in law abiding citizens and entrepreneurs.
- Imposition of heavier penalties, coupled with provisions of IPC, 1860, to act as deterrent for violators on the other hand.
Read more: UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
SOURCE: THE HINDU